Based on AIEJI’s by-lows, Professional Associations, Agencies and individual members of the International Association of Social Educators (AIEJI) are committed to:
- Base their professional activities on the principles listed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the UN Declaration of Children’s Rights.
- Utilize their professional knowledge in order to provide clients with the best services they need, while respecting each one of them as a person.
- Take into consideration and respect the uniqueness of each client’s culture and faith.
- Strive for the development and empowerment of client’s self image, the development of the client’s autonomy and his/her capacity to participate in community life as an active citizen.
- Use their competence and their influence, both as citizens and social agents, so that services delivered by the different social and educative institutions should be able to obtain significant improvement among populations in need, both on the individual level, and the larger social scale.
- Assess constantly their services and review their relevance and effectiveness.
- Contribute to the establishment of norms, accepted all over the world, that require proper, specific and well-adapted training for any social-educative activity. In addition, to advocate for the idea that these practices require life-long learning and contribute to the development of programs for “on the job training”.
- Contribute actively to the development of the social education profession in their country and all around the world.
- Develop networking among AIEJI’s members in view of increasing international cooperation in the social education field.
- Work for the acceptance of “good professional practice”, defined as know how based on on-going education, where techniques and methods are based on these ethical principles, herby presented.
AIEJI invites all social educators who accept these principles to join the international association and adopt these ethical guidelines.